Idle paws are like idle hands…no good ever comes from them! Boredom can make even the best dog do naughty things: it can turn shoes and remote controls into chew toys, the trash into an afternoon snack and the garden into a mosh pit. But it’s not your dog’s fault. Can you imagine being home alone all day with no thumbs?
Here are some ideas of how you can break up your dog’s boredom when you’re away:
- If your dog needs more of a challenge, fill the puzzle feeder and hide it somewhere in the house for your dog to track down and then solve.
- Or hide piles of food throughout the house for your dog to track down instead of putting it all in one place.
- Stuff and freeze a Kong with peanut butter or cream cheese and let him lick, gnaw and chew on it to his heart’s content.
- If your dog is going to be spending this time alone outside, take his entire meal and throw it in the back yard – let him hunt down the kibble.
- Come home for lunch and take him for a walk, or hire a dog walker for a mid-day visit.
- Fill a plastic wading pool in the backyard with water or sand, depending on what your dog enjoys. You can also toss toys in or bury them for extra fun.
- Look into other great products that can prevent boredom from taking over: DogTV (canine programming only), Through a Dog’s Ear (music made just for dogs), iFetch (a game they can play all by themselves), and iCPooch (an internet enabled pet video and treat dispenser system). And there are so many more!
Do you have ways to keep your dog busy during the day? We’d love to hear your ideas. You can reach us by responding to this email or by joining us on Facebook or Instagram.